Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Memories, light the corners of My mind

I have always been a fan of the amazing Barbra. Today she was on the Oprah Winfrey show
to do her very first television interview with her co-star of the Way We Were, Robert Redford. The Way We Were is one of my favorite all time movies and the final scene when Barbra brushes the hair from Robert's face still brings a tear to my eye.
Listening to her sing always reminds me of Christmas at my Grandmothers house. I know its a strange connection. My Grandmother used to encourage us to perform for family at Christmas. My first Christmas with her I sang a Barbara Streisand song badly...my family was kind and said I did well but no one can sing like Barbra! Every time I hear her I think of those times. Today, for some reason I got very emotional while watching the interview. It occurred to me that I miss my Grandmother a lot, in fact I miss my entire family. I always seem to get nostalgic when it gets close to the Holidays but today I found myself thinking about those Holidays with my Grandmother and wishing she were here to tell me everything was going to be okay. I miss my Aunt Pat and her twisted sense of humor, I miss My Muff and her hugs, and I miss sitting with my Dad while Grandmother told the story of the littlest Angel. Isn't funny how one song or one person can bring all those kinds of memories flooding back. How I wish I could get my Dads side of the family together again, but we are all so spread out these days, we are literally from coast to coast. For now I guess I will just put on some Barbra and have fond memories of Christmas past. Thanks for the memories Ms. Streisand!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know the feeling. It is especially felt at these times when family gets together. I wish you and D lived closer to us so you could share the holidays. The Colemans will be down and we will meet over at the Foxs. There will probably be a football game and lots of food.
I will think of you, darling. Love ya lots,
Muff